History repeats at Bialik College

Bialik College has had a troublesome time with two of its principals, ironically connected over a thirty year time span.

[SOURCE]

I started high school in 1981 in Year 7 at the brand new Hawthorn East campus of Bialik College.  The principal of the school was David Goldsmith.  At some stage between 1981 and 1982 the school council unexpectedly terminated the employment of David Goldsmith.  This was a shock to everyone and to the best of my knowledge no explanation was given for the decision.  Abraham Feiglin was installed as the interim principal before a permanent replacement could be found in Michael Pincus.

Three years ago, in late 2008, Bialik College employed Joseph Gerassi as the replacement for long-standing school principal Genia Janover.  Genia Janover announced her resignation in 2007 after 20 years of service to the school as principal, having started in 1988.  This week, on August 24 2011, almost three years after starting, Joseph Gerassi’s employment was suddenly(*) terminated amidst a cloud of mystery.  No explanation has been given by the school council for their decision, although they will be holding an information meeting with the school community on September 1 to explain their decision and discuss relevant issues.

I’m not drawing any comparison between the sacking of the two Bialik College principals David Goldsmith and Joseph Gerassi, each 30 years apart.  Nor am I placing any judgement upon the decision made by the school council for their recent decision.  However what is most ironic for me about this most recent situation is that Graham Goldsmith, the President of the school council that made the unanimous decision to terminate Joseph Gerassi’s employment, is the son of sacked Bialik College principal David Goldsmith.

While I’m writing this missive, a journey down memory lane in some regards, I’m reminded that Graham Goldsmith was one of my scout leaders at 3rd Doncaster West.  I have fond memories of that time.

I have always looked at Bialik College as one of the leading schools in Victoria, and perhaps Australia, setting a high standard in academic excellence.  I wish all associated with the school the best for the future and hope that the right leadership for the school can be found promptly.

* As a postscript to this piece, I wish to clarify my use of the word ‘suddenly’.  My intention was to avoid bias or emotion in writing this piece, but simply present the facts as they appeared.  I was initially contacted by several people who commented on the apparent suddenness of this situation.  I understand that these decisions are not made lightly and there will have been careful consideration leading up to them.  It is not the purpose of this piece to present, investigate or question the underlying issues of this situation.

Doug Pollard and Rob Mitchell interview John Searle

Listen to the podcast and read the transcript of the August 5 2011 JOY 94.9 interview between Doug Pollard, Rob Mitchell and the JCCV’s John Searle. It’s the answers that John Searle doesn’t give that are most telling.

[SOURCE]

Click above for the podcast and transcript of the interview on JOY 94.9FM  between presenter Doug Pollard, co-host Rob Mitchell and John Searle of the JCCV.  They discuss the JCCV’s Call for Submissions into discrimination and vilification of GLBT people in the Victorian Jewish community.

Read an analysis of this JCCV initiative over on Jew on This.  You can also read my submission to the JCCV.  If you’re similarly motivated, do send a submission of your own in.

I’ve been promised a copy of the report on these findings once the JCCV has released it.  I’ll make sure it gets posted here.

JCCV’s John Searle to talk to GLBT radio JOY 94.9 on vilification

John Searle will talk to Doug Pollard on Gay and Lesbian radio station JOY 94.9 regarding the latest JCCV initiative to combat vilification and discrimination against GLBT people.

Tune in tomorrow to hear John Searle, president of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria, talk to Doug Pollard on gay and lesbian community radio station JOY 94.9 regarding the latest JCCV initiative to combat vilification and discrimination against GLBT people.  Details here.  The podcast and transcript of the interview will be posted as they become available.

Danny Lamm – Philanthropist

Danny Lamm is the major donor of the Jewish Library of Australia. I would never have thought homophobia and philanthropy went hand-in-hand too often.

[SOURCE]

I read with mild amusement that the Jewish community’s Danny Lamm has bought himself a shiny new library.  Wonderful.

A library is a place of learning.  A home to a collection of accumulated experience, wisdom, joy, suffering, marvel, art, history, mistakes, optimism and other expressions of the human condition.

It is strikes me as unusual that someone who wanted to exclude a support organisation for gay men from the Jewish community should become a philanthropist and major financial benefactor of a library.  But despite that blot on his good name I think I’ll let Wikipedia(*) have the last say on the matter of philanthropist Danny Lamm:

Some believe that philanthropy can be a means to build community by growing community funds and giving vehicles. When communities see themselves as being resource rich instead of asset poor, the community is in a better position to solve community problems.

However, some believe the purpose of philanthropy is often tribute and self-aggrandizement, as arguably shown by the prevalence of self-titled foundations, rarity of large anonymous donations, and lack of support for unpalatable causes such as the treatment of diarrhea (which despite being easily treatable is the second leading cause of infant death worldwide.)

• as referenced on July 14 2011.

Manny the Brave

Manny Waks stands by his convictions, not afraid to say it how it is. He makes some insightful observations about the JCCV that parallel my experience with the organisation.

[SOURCE]

It’s a brave person to admit publicly they’ve been the victim of sexual abuse.  Making this admission in a small close-knit community is even more courageous; few do it.

Manny Waks has shown he’s a person who stands by his convictions, someone not afraid to say it how it is.  Forthrightness is a quality I admire.

In Manny’s response to the statements from Yeshivah and the JCCV, he makes some comments that are especially insightful.

While Yeshivah’s reluctance to fully cooperate with the investigation is somewhat understandable as it attempts to maintain its reputation – although completely unacceptable – the JCCV’s silence on this issue has been bewildering and outrageous. It indicates that there is a major gap in leadership in the Victorian Jewish community. No one was willing to stand up when it counted – this from an organisation that claims to be the voice of Victorian Jewry.

No victim would be interested in seeking assistance or support from an organisation that lacks moral leadership. Furthermore, the JCCV’s recommendation to seek assistance and support also from the Jewish Taskforce Against Family Violence, a group that has proved itself to be primarily a Yeshivah apologist, is further alienating.

What is most revealing about Manny’s observation of the JCCV is that it parallels my experience with the same organisation.  This confirms to me that there are some fundamental deficiencies with the JCCV.  Address these and we can start to identify and then tackle the underlying harms that exist within the community, rather than just remedy them in a superficial manner.

Jewish Broadcasting for the Community (JBC) calls for members

The new organisation Jewish Broadcasting for the Community (JBC) is now calling for members. Have your say in the direction of broadcasting in the Australian Jewish community.

Date: 28 June 2011 19:35
Subject: JBC: Constitution and Membership Form
To: …, Paul Gardner <pgardner at bigpond dot net dot au>, …

Dear all,

Attached please find the revised JBC constitution and a membership application form.
Please forward the form to as many as you can so our membership starts to pick up. There is also a Friend category which is for supporters who are not members.
Should you have any questions please send them to either myself or Paul Gardner, our interim Chairman.
All application forms should be sent to me on this address (which appears on the form).

Thanks and regards,

Yoram Regev
JBC Interim Board member